Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A red poppy opened in my garden today

I have just returned from having read to my mother the article I wrote called "The Million Carat Diamond". Earlier though, I noticed a most beautiful red amongst our garden of mainly shades of green with mostly purple flowers, except for the Arum Lilies. Researching the symbolism of a red poppy, wikipedia, my favourite site, has this to offer.


Poppies have long been used as a symbol of both sleep and death: sleep because of the opium extracted from them, and death because of their (commonly) blood-red color. In Greco-Roman myths, poppies were used as offerings to the dead. Poppies are used as emblems on tombstones to symbolize eternal sleep. This aspect was used, fictionally, in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to create magical poppy fields, dangerous because they caused those who passed through them to sleep forever.
A second meaning for the depiction and use of poppies in Greco-Roman myths is the symbolism of the bright scarlet colour as signifying the promise of resurrection after death.

In Persian literature, red poppies, especially red corn poppy flowers, are considered the flower of love. They are often called the eternal lover flower.


Just emphasises what I already know. The more you look around you the more you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment